How to record Skype video calls for free
Skype has been undeniably the oldest and the most trustful software when it comes to video calling. With about eighteen years in service, the popularity of Skype remains uptight. Since it is so popular, Skype is frequently used for video conferencing with either one’s loved ones or to attend meetings and interviews.
As it is used for various purposes and workplaces, recording Skype video calls has been a need of many people. And if you are here, you are probably searching for a way for video recording on Skype.
People may want to record a Skype video call for:
- Keeping a memory of the moments spent with their loved ones.
- Referencing the recorded video in future for academic purposes.
- Using the recorded video for content creation and marketing.
- Training freshers using the recorded video as opposed to holding a new training every time.
Here, we will have a detailed look at the various steps of recording a Skype video call across different operating systems. So let’s get started without further ado.
Recording a Skype video using the in-built feature of Skype(Windows or macOS)
The reason why Skype is so popular is that it has an in-built recorder which most of the video conferencing apps lack. Here’s how to use it.
Join in your Skype meeting or host a new meeting by visiting the following link: Organize conference calls on Skype with one click
- If you are hosting a new meeting, set a meeting name and click on Create a free meeting.
- Share the meeting link with the attendees and click on Start Call.
- Once you click on it, you will get an option to either continue in the Skype web app or continue in the Skype software. You can choose either of them.
When the attendees have joined the meeting and you wish to record the call, simply click on Record to start recording your meeting.
Once you have started the recording, all the others in the meeting will be notified that you are now recording the call.
Note: For privacy concerns, it’s always advised to inform the attendees before recording the call.
Once you are done recording, click on Stop to stop the recording.
Note: If you simply end the meeting without clicking on Stop, your recording will be erased and cannot be retrieved. Therefore, always click on the Stop button before ending.
- Your recordings can be found in the chat. The name of the chat will be the same as the meeting name that the organizer chose at the beginning of the meeting.
By default, the recording will be available in the chat for a period of 30 days. Although, you can always save it in your local machine by clicking on the three dots near the video file and hitting on “Save as…”.
Recording Skype video using the in-built feature of Skype(Android or iOS)
Quite similar are the steps for recording in Android and iOS. The cherry on the cake, you can record your Skype meeting without the use of any third-party application.
- Download the Skype app for iOS from here Skype for iPhone on the App Store
- For Android, you can download the same from here Skype – free IM & video calls – Apps on Google Play
- Join the meeting or host a new one.
- Once the meeting starts and the attendees join, you can record the call.
On the bottom of your screen, you will find a toolbar resembling this.
Tap on the three dots in the right corner and select Start recording.
- Once you are done tap on Stop recording by tapping on the three-dots again.
- Your recordings can be found in the chatroom created with the same name as the meeting’s.
- The recording will be available in the chatroom for 30 days however you can save it to your local machine.
To save the recorded video of your Skype call, tap and hold on the recording and hit Save.
Recording Skype video using online Screen Recorder
If you wish to record your Skype meeting, using an online screen recorder as opposed to the in-built screen recorder then Screen Capture is the go-to choice for you.
About: Screen Capture is a free online tool to record your Skype meetings without installing any third-party software. Its creators guarantee high privacy while recording and also is very simple to use.
It is supported in the following browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera.
- Head on to https://www.screencapture.com/#other on your PC to visit the Screen Capture’s website.
- Click on any of the icons(Microphone/Sound/Webcam) to toggle them on and record them along with the video. By default, the free version contains a watermark in the recorded video.
Once you have selected the things that you want to record, click on Start Recording.
On the Share your screen dialogue box that appears, select ‘Your Entire Screen’ and check the ‘Share Audio’ checkbox and click on Share.
- Finally, click on Allow to grant permissions for using the camera and microphone.
Your recording has now started. It will now record everything in your Skype recording including screen share and presentations.
Just remember not to close the Screen Capture tab or else you will lose your recording.
Click on Stop Recording to stop recording your screen.
Once the recording stops, you can download your video recording of the Skype call by clicking on the Download button.
Recording Skype video using offline Screen Recorder
If you prefer an offline screen recorder with better editing and recording options and without any watermarks as opposed to an online screen recorder then we have got you covered.
About: ScreenRec is a 100% free screen recorder with no watermarks or recording limits. It can capture screenshots and videos with a single hotkey and can also share screencasts fast via a private link.
Worried about the privacy of your recordings?
ScreenRec is built on top of the StreamingVideoProvider business video platform. Your videos and screenshots are encrypted with the 128-bit AES algorithm which means that only you or people you gave the sharing link to can view them. The developers at ScreenRec don’t have access to your content.
- Click on the following link Download ScreenRec - Free Screen Recorder For Faster Communication to download ScreenRec.
Once ScreenRec is successfully installed, you will see a screen recording toolbar appear to the right side of your screen which looks like this:
Click on the Settings icon and the following window should open:
- As you can see, ScreenRec will record the audio from the microphone along with the screen by default. To record the system audio too, toggle on the switch that says Record system audio.
- To disable the microphone, click on the green microphone icon and it should turn into a red slashed microphone.
- To start a recording, either click the video icon from the recording toolbar on the right side of your screen or press Alt+S.
Click and drag to create the window that will record the meeting.
Make sure that the window you created by clicking and dragging completely encapsulates the entire Skype meeting window.
- Click the video icon to start the recording. By default, you will have a five-minute recording limit but it can easily be removed by creating a free account or signing in using Google or Facebook.
- To stop the recording, hit Alt+S again or press the white square.
- You can view your saved recordings by clicking on the gallery icon of the recording toolbar.
To save the recording to your local machine, hover over to your recording and click on Preview.
Click on the download icon to save the video locally.
In conclusion, these were the various ways of recording your Skype meeting covering various situations and operating systems. Hope you try them out.